Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Jazzing it UP - 4 days to go!

This Saturday is our Swing Swing Swing extravaganza!  It is our first Crescendo event of the season and I will be in the Fuldner lounge prior to the concert to welcome you all.  There will be a Jazz combo for your pre-concert entertainment and of course fine food, drink and company.  On Thursday we will be at Borders starting at 5:30pm and our special guest is Jazz Vocalist Nancy Kelly who will talk about her career as a Jazz singer.  Find out if there's anything behind singing the blues! It is not too late to join Crescendo.  Just call 864 6683!

For the next few days I will preview my program notes in sections.  Part 1:

Although I spend most of my time now in the realm of Classical music, it certainly didn’t start that way.  When I started playing the Trumpet at 7 years old, initially I didn’t learn to read music, I learnt everything by ear.  I believe this gave me my instincts for music as I wasn’t working things out by reading, but instead I was feeling, listening and watching.  The first musical group I joined was my school Jazz band in the 5th grade, and I didn’t join an orchestra until two years after that.  Jazz essentially is where I got my start and it holds a special place for me still.  When 2 years ago I was on Dr. Nietzel’s round table radio show on KSMU discussing the arts, one of the questions was: what is missing from the arts scene in Springfield? Without hesitation, I said a vibrant jazz scene. There was certainly more than a little surprise from the other participants that I the Symphony music director would say that, but Dr. Nietzel agreed and it is a credit to him that more Jazz is appearing on campus being lead by one of our soloists tonight, Missouri State Music faculty member and master Saxophonist  Randy Hamm. 

Ron Spigelman 

No comments: